Understanding the risks
Carter County Drug Prevention is an anti-drug coalition designed to bring together diverse organizations, factions or constituencies who agree to work together to achieve a common goal.
To create a safe and healthy Carter County.
Reduce substance abuse through collaborative planning, community action, and policy advocacy.
WHAT DO WE DO?
A coalition is required to focus on the following 7 Center for Substance Abuse Prevention Seven Strategies according to the Tennessee Department of Health and Substance Abuse Services and the National Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
- Provide Information: ex. Presentations in the community, brochures, media campaigns
- Enhance Skills: ex. Workshops, seminars, parenting classes, model programs in schools
- Provide Support: ex. Opportunities for safe activities, mentoring, referrals, youth clubs
- Enhance access and reduce barriers: ex. Increase access to treatment, childcare, housing
- Change consequences: ex. Increasing public recognition for deserved behavior; citations
- Change physical design: ex. Change environment to reduce risk/enhance protection
- Modify/change policies: Formal change in written procedures, by laws, practices.